Tuesday, June 18, 2013

IT WILL GET BETTER

Okay guys, so clearly I am not very good at this whole blog thing. I mean, what has it been, two months since my last post?...Yeaaah sorry about that! But I promise it will get better! Even Professor Snape agrees (his version is a bit...well...more depressing, but I can't pass up a good tie to Harry Potter. Even if it the connection only makes a bit of sense. Sorry, but I'm not sorry.)  Anyway, the point is that this is the first and hopefully last time that I will leave you guys hanging for that long.

But don't worry, you haven't missed a whole lot since my last post. Sure, I have been busy building the brand and bringing in clients, but it's been mostly all of the back end, nitty gritty stuff lately. It's hard work starting your own business (shocker, right?) and I think the toughest part is being patient. I am so excited for this adventure and I just want everything to happen immediately. But it's not going to. It will take time for everything to fall into place. I have no doubt that it will, eventually. The frustration is when? But when I really think about it, I am off to a great start. There is something to be said about creating your dream job, rather than applying for it. And at the mere age of 23 and only a few months in, I have to be thankful for the opportunities thus far. I have worked with adorable couples and met with wonderful wedding professionals. I have renewed old relationships and opened new ones. I have created some damn good designs. And best of all, I get to do what I love. Everyday. 

So as we move into summer, and the warm days begin to distract me (and believe me, they will) I promise not to get too caught up in what isn't happening. Instead, I am going to :

......................................................................................

No 1. Market. Improve my presence and get my name out. I need to think of new advertising strategies and take advantage of more networking opportunities.

No 2. Blog. A lot more than I'll probably want to. I want to feel more comfortable sharing my thoughts and feelings. Usually I turn to sketching when I don't know what else to do, but maybe I will try this as a new outlet.That said, I need to come up with some re-occurring blog ideas. Maybe a "weekend inspiration" feature? Or post a pattern on a particular day? If you have any ideas, I would love to listen!

No 3. Design. I have so many sketch book pages full of new invitation ideas waiting to be created. I keep saving them for the right client, but it's killing me to wait. I am going to do more design for designs sake. So keep an eye out for some "just for fun" aucala creations!

No 4. Create. Do things besides sitting in front of my computer staring at InDesign. I need to paint, make stamps, collage, take pictures, do all of the things on my "oh what a good idea, I should do that soon" list. Then take what I created and implement them in my designs!

No 5. Share. Share more about myself. Take the time to blog about my day and not just my work. Let you know what's going on in my life — what I am thinking and feeling, what I like and don't like. 

(If I don't stick to these, you have my permission for an intervention. Just no slapping please)


No comments:

Post a Comment